Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review: Sony NWZ-ZX1 Part 1

Introduction - Why I Choose Sony NWZ-ZX1

Among all high end, or rather high resolution, Digital Audio Players, Sony has not been in consideration for years due to their stubborn policy of not playing several popular formats of high resolution audio recordings such as: FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, and more. This decision positioned Sony as the producer of retail mid end DAP that relies solely on MP3 based format. Even with research on developing MP3 format to a higher sounding format, not many fanatics of high resolution audio listeners were interested to use Sony's Walkman as their main DAP.

Until 2014, 35 years after Sony hatched the first product line of portable audio called Walkman, Sony decided to open the door and accepted their products to play nearly all formats of high end audio recording, the result: the 35th Anniversary Walkman called NWZ-ZX1.



I first got my interest on ZX1 after the Sony's announcement of the next portable high resolution audio player Walkman series A (NWZ-A15 and A17). Those 2 new units are sexy, well built and most likely to storm the market and win a lot casual listeners. I was about to shop for iBasso DX50 or AK100, which for those keen on high resolution audio immediately recognized as 2 of most preferred DAP in the market. And after reading tons of references in the Internet I found so many stories about how great both products are that I tested them both. They are exemplary excellent DAP in their own rights.

One notable feature that AK100 and ZX1 both have is Bluetooth; AK100 employs Bluetooth 3.0 (AK100 II uses Bluetooth 4.0) and ZX1 uses Bluetooth 3.0. So both are able to stream higher resolution sounds.

The Review

Design

All are designed to last and abuse, although DX50 is sturdier in comparison, ZX1 has its own perk of being the lightest and tiniest volume-wise among the three.

However, when walking around listening to music, I found ZX1 is more comfortable in my hand especially for prolonged listening for its lighter weight and smartphone sized body. Even with the lower back protruding in an awkward way, it tends to assist my hand in avoiding slippage combined with the leather-like material to cover the aluminium frame.

The touch screen is well-sized, and the physical buttons are well placed and again well-thought-out to present easy access by soft touch recognition, with little dots and different sizes. I love using the physical buttons since they are easy to recognize even without looking at the unit. However, the hardened leather-like case lacking access to the buttons really sucks.


User Interface

I'll keep it short, it's an older Android OS. Easy to use and access. Not the richest in features but adequate for listeners. Later on I'll review the apps available for this unit.


The Sound Impression

I put a lot consideration on how to represent the sound impression I get. I prefer to approach it differently this time around since talking about high end DAP won't be fair if not paired with the headphone used. That means the combination will come to account, since I have (although cheaper variances) several unique sound headphones, I will try to provide combination impression. So here we go, I hope you enjoy my approach.


Sony NWZ-ZX1 with Sennheiser MX760



Both are known for the wide sound staging. So what happened if I paired them together?

First of all, Senn MX760 is definitely a treble rich earbud with deep bass and big sound stage. So I tested it without EQ, but the treble becomes a bit too much. Then I turned on the ClearSound+ feature which nullified all eq settings to Sony pre-programmed sound signature, both literally become a new favorite matching for serious detail-minded listening.

I played Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful Day and if I close my eyes, I swear I can imagine Louis standing in front with violin players close to his left and drums and guitar further on his rear right side, bass player right side closer than the drums. The music and voice so clear that I have high appreciation on the 24 bit and 96 kHz recording. Even Louis signature lips play can be heard.

Then I played Linkin Park's In Pieces (from Minutes to Midnight album with 16/44 recording) and for a small earbud to represent ZX1 sound, it is unbelievably enjoyable experience. Big impact and deep bass, voice and instruments separation are clear and well-placed, smooth treble. The sound are loaded with details.

Those 2 songs I think has represented how well they both match up.

Note: Warning high impact bass means do not start the music with high volume, especially over 80%. It will be painful. I used 60% max volume which are plenty already.

On the downer side, some treble heavy songs and lower recording quality (128kbps MP3 or lower) becomes too sharp and too noisy to listen due to MX760 sensitivity of details, despite of Sony's DSEE HX feature turned on to smoothen the roughness.


Bonus Impression:
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ with Sennheiser MX760

Sansa Clip+ is a cheap but a high quality player, however it doesn't have the range ZX1 has. Two major differences that separates the two:

- Clip+ bass is tight and detailed but lacking the depth and clarity.
- Clip+ has a smaller sound staging, the right analogy would be comparing a 1x1x1 cubical meter (Clip+) to a Studio size room (ZX1)

Don't get me wrong, I love my Clip+ as a casual daily driver. I have been using it for a couple of years. It's tiny size and light weight just slip to my shirt pocket inconspicuously without becoming a burden. While ZX1 requires a belt wallet or case to be used without bothering my movement.

Each has their own purpose.

So there, my first part of Sony NWZ-ZX1 impression. Next I will pair it with Sony MDR1RBT Mark II, wired and Bluetooth connected. Each has it's own sound signature that a little different one to another, especially with some hidden Sony NWZ-ZX1 features turned on.

No comments:

Post a Comment