Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review:Sony NWZ-ZX1 Part 2

As promised, this time I matched up Sony NWZ-ZX1 with Sony MDR1RBT Mark II.

Before I proceed with the review, I like to state some opinions, humbly.

When I bought Sony NWZ-ZX1, there are some comments in the Internet regarding this unit. A lot of it revolve around the following list of disappointments:
- not enough Amplification power to support highest end, or big, headphones
- sound quality, hissing noise apparent in various high and low resolution recordings
- Android based system

In my humble opinion, Sony is following iPod steps. Sony is known being closed to Apple since Jobs days and Jobs' vision on music players is clearly apparent on the new Sony's Walkman line up:
- Sony designed their new Walkman to cope with the ever growing high end headphone listeners' demand of wanting to play FLAC, Wave, etc format recordings. However, like Steve Jobs designs, Sony follows the trend of the majority listeners who don't want to bring around heavy, power hungry, high-end headphone. Most listeners want good quality of music with light weight, portable, yet high quality headphones that has become the major trends. So they designed NWZ-ZX1 with enough power to match up with mid end heaphones which also works with iPod, but for those who wants to listen to highes end of headphones will most likely use external amplifiers anyhow, regardless what Sony has provided.
- Straight out of the box, NWZ-ZX1 has a hiss consistently. This is because of the sound settings are not yet set to listeners individual likings. It is similar to Vanilla Android, it's up to the listeners to customize the sound characteristics they like. Here is one feature that Sony should have for future updates: multi sound profile easy access or programmable sound profiling.
- Android is one of the most flexible and powerful Mobile OS available. If iOS have Apple iTunes, Sony wants to be the choice as the music players for quality conscious listeners. This is apparent with Sony releasing their Walkman and sound quality app to Google Play Store.
- In addition, with Android OS platform, Sony can upgrade and update their Walkman app as required and requested by the market. Making their app more appealing for most listeners.

Those are what I feel I need to say, so now we continue with the review.

Sound Setting

After using Sony MDR1RBT Mark II with Sony NWZ-ZX1 for almost 3 weeks now, I have saved an EQ setting that I like since this setting boost the treble and provide punchy, detailed but deep enough bass. I tried the preset Rock EQ, I don't really like it. I prefer this setting or ClearAudio+ on depending on the headphone I used.


Important Note

I have upgraded the firmware of NWZ-ZX1 to the latest Build No. 1.13.0009 which improve the Wave playing. I did noticed Wave recordings became more like the FLAC. Previously, more trebles are played. This might be also one of the reasons NWZ-ZX1 was complained by listeners to have hissing on certain recordings. But then again, it's my opinion.


Sony NWZ-ZX1 with Sony MDR1RBT Mark II - Wired



First, of course the wired matching of Sony MDR1RBT Mark II with NWZ-ZX1. As most of you have read feom Headfi and Internet reviews regarding Sony's MDR1 Mark II series, it is a flat but uniquely rich with Sony's sound signature. It is a detailed headphone but can present deep and punchy bass, smooth treble, and lushful, sweet voice.

When combined with NWZ-ZX1, I understand why Sony are pushing forward both products as a matching pairs in the their promotional materials. This combination is such a beautiful and enjoyable that I considered both are designed for each other.

Listening to Linkin Park's In Pieces, the intro became a lot more intimate. Blank sound on right ear while guitar acoustic plays in left ear. The speedy and playful drums and bass guitar represented well without slow down. And then, the impactful drum plays handsomely that made wants to dance a bit myself. Do note that I don't dance so just gives you a picture of how fun the combo is.

Then I switched to Louis Armstrong. I set the surround sound effect to Studio, but I hear this song as if I was sitting in front of stage. Louis' voice came from a bit above me, the strings orchestra on his left at a good distance. To his right side, a guitar and next the bass player and a drummer. Louis' voice arw so intimate that I feel like I'm watching the historic recording.
Note: When I turned on ClearAudio+, this song becomes different. Louis' vocal surround me as if coming from a set of 2 big speakers.

Next, I played John Mellencamp's Wild Night, the song that Monster Beats headphones and speakers always play it wrong. The intro's pounding drum beats, consistent cymbal taps and tambourine are perfectly sounding. John Mellencamp and Me'Shell Ndegeocello's vocals are playing in front and the band members are playing behind them.

Another difficult song for headphones to play correctly is Nightwish's Bye Bye Beautiful. The intro's first drum impact usually played with lost of power. Sansa Clip+ manages to play right, but my Sony Xperia Z Ultra failed. NWZ-ZX1 managed to play it correctly.
Note: When I turned on ClearAudio+, the song becomes very dark and thick with bass.

I was about to call it the night by listening to Rihanna's We Found Love and find this song plays like I am in my living room with 5.1 home theatre setup. However, when changed the audio setting to ClearAudio+, I was transported to Club hall with the bass shaking the ground. This is impressive, I find new amd unexpected excitements with NWZ-ZX1.

This matching definitely brings out the best in both. NWZ-ZX1 is clearly a far more superior player than my SanDisk Sansa Clip+ by several levels with its ability to play a bigger range of audio frequency with 'fun' as the main spirit.



Next: Sony NWZ-ZX1 with Sony MDR1RBT Mark II - Bluetooth

No comments:

Post a Comment