Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sony MDR1RBT MARK II THE REVIEW

As promised, here comes the review of the famous SONY MDR1RBT MARK II.

Voted by Headfi critics as one of, if not, the best Bluetooth high-end headphone currently available in the market, Sony MDR1RBT Mark II does live up to it's hype. From physical quality to sound quality, this unit truly define a masterpiece. Do I recommend it to you guys? Let me review it first, you can be the judge.

Let's Get Physical

Physically, MDR1RBT Mark II is made of plastic, I think at least 85% are definitely plastic. Compared to other top end branded masterpiece headphones, MDR1RBT certainly looks at par by appearance, especially with their decision to use metallic red and black matte finishing.  But when you touch and hold it in your hands, you know it is plastic through and through. Don't get me wrong, it is high quality plastic, not some cheapo low grade plastic.

MDR1RBT design however outshines most top end headphones by its modern take on classic over-ear design. Hence, Sony designers tried hard to hide most of the buttons away from plain sight, so those who are not familiar with the Bluetooth varian will definitely think it's unwired (off) MDR1.

Unlike the original MDR1, MDR1RBT 3.5mm connection is hidden by rubber flap at bottom left ear cup,  so the flap needed to be opened when using this unit with its wire. I found it a bit disappointing since the original looks better with the cable hanging on left cup frame. Plus the opened rubber flap, although not very apparent, bugs me just because I know the flap is opened wide.  Being the Mark II, Sony should updated the 3.5mm connector to look like one found in MDR10RBT instead.

The cushion looks great and well placed. Enough said.

The metal brush and real metal on the rotating joints before the cups are brilliant MDR1 signature design also.

Does MDR1RBT can match the so-called cool headphones by Monster Beats? My answer is if you are a teenager with untrained ears, then Monster Beats headphones are your accessories to look cool and Monster Beats are the 'cool' ones.  However, if you are a mature and have trained ears, MDR1RBT (or other MDR1 series) does look far better. A more mature and executive like.

Why didn't I mention it as cool design for younger listeners? Well, I think Sony positioned MDR10 series for the younger listeners, smaller-lighter-cheaper.

The Wear

The trick with a 30-hour long battery life per charge is how long can you use it comfortably, of course. Despite the pressure of the cups on my head being a bit loose to my personal taste, MDR1RBT does feel comfortable for hours of usage. I used it for 3 hours straight without realizing that I'm using a full size headphone on my head.

Practical Side

Here is where Sony's brilliant design has flaws. All MDR1 series can only be folded flat,  meaning both cups twist 90° so it can be put on the table flat. It's a big unit, even the younger brother MDR10RBT still quite a big unit since it can only get flattened.

Arguments on the users of MDR1 series won't travel with this unit in their backpack is not a valid excuse not to improve on the practicality of having a headphone that can be folded to a smaller portable size.

On the other side of arguments, being a Bluetooth headset, you wan wear them all the time so that's why Sony made it so d### comfortable.

The Soul

Sound is always the main point for me in buying a headphone. I'm very fond of my Ultrasone HFI450 and Ultimate Ears UE700, so I'm in tune with V shaped equalizer, wide soundstage, extended details, deeper bass and good bass impact.

MDR1RBT being a Sony's product, it has a flatter equalizer than my other pieces. Vocal does become the favorite when listening via this unit. It's lushful and wonderfully natural. Emotional singers will project how they feel to the listeners. It's not what I consider vocal-focussed headset, but vocal is shining bright.

Bass, well, hmmmmmm. I must say MDR1RBT dynamic impact is superior to Ultrasone HFI450. It's tighter and more detailed.

High frequency, however, is very controlled. Don't get me wrong, every sound is reproduced clearly. This unit is tuned to control the treble not to be too sharp,  but clear and smooth. For me, it's like eating spicy food with the heat but not the pain.

Soundstage and sound separation are both brilliant. Using indirect sound wave path to ear calculation, Sony successfully created a beautiful level of soundstage within a closed environment. Added by the Sony's own technology to reproduce sound, MDR1 series in general have won so many critics hearts, including mine.

Bluetooth sound quality is by far the best to my ears. I did test MDR10 at Headfonia store (credit to Mr.  Yudie) a while back, the difference is pretty significant in details quality,  especially the bass. It's a totally different ball game there.
Furthermore, when using Bluetooth, the build-in amp will kick in and produce a more powerful sound compared to when used using wire. A lot of people said that Sony has apps on Android and iOS to support MDR1 series, but I haven't found it yet, Info anyone? Pretty please?

Final note on sound quality, the soul of the headphone, MDR1RBT is designed as all rounder headphone, so it doesn't link to a certain music category. However, I do find it superior when playing acoustic and vocal-based songs,

The Bomb

Well, just my luck. Currently, I'm using my second unit of MDR1RBT MKII. The first unit apparently has faulty battery that it failed to be recharged after I bought it. So I claimed it to Sony Service Center in my town (not without a little incidence of public explosion of anger). Sony decided to replace my unit with a new one. Bravo Sony on providing good, not yet excellent, customer satisfaction.

I just hoped that once they repair my unit, they don't sell it as new unit. They should use it as demo unit instead.

Closing

There you go, my take on SONY MDR1RBT MARK II.


No comments:

Post a Comment